Saturday 25 February 2012

Mass Review!

The Artist (2011) Dir: Michel Hazanavicius
There is not much I can say about this that has not already been said. Unless you have been living under a rock for the last 2 months you should know the critics believe this is an amazing piece of work and I, for once, am not going to differ. It is charming, beautiful and wonderfully nostalgic and I really enjoyed it.
Overall: Delightful echoes of Singing in the Rain. Brilliant 4/5

The Ides of March (2011) Dir: George Clooney
This is a powerhouse of a film and I loved it. It had all the political thriller stuff I earn for and is all about the supporting cast, Philip Seymour-Hoffman is immense, Paul Giamatti is a tour de force, the Clooney sneaks up on you like a sucker punch and even though Gosling is star of the show you can't help but think it's because he's had to raise his game due to the calibre of the supporting cast.
Overall : Love it 4/5

Moneyball (2011) Dir: Bennett Miller
This really is just a classic underdog story and there is nothing wrong with that. It's about failure and redemption, fear and hope and Brad Pitt is ok and Jonah Hill is ok but it's really nothing special. It's like any other American sports movie but with math. I like it but it's lets face it, it is no Raging Bull. One thing I would say about this film is that the artress that plays Brad Pitts Daughter in the film  Kerris Dorsey is definitely one to watch and that they sorely underused Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Overall: Better than average sports film but on amazing 2.5/5

Tinker Talior Solder Spy (2011) Dir: Tomas Alfredson
I'm so glad one of my uber intelligent friends told me that when they watched this the first time they didn't understand it 'coz if they hadn't I would have felt like a right idiot. I just don't think my brain can cope with this type of film, I'm still working on 1 lead when already the main character is on their 4th. I was also glad I was watching this film with James as his brain loves this type of film and I honestly had to stop the film at least twice to get James to explain what the hell was going on. Don't get me wrong the film is very good; it's shot beautifully, keeps you guessing and Oldman is completely fantastic, it's just it's probably going to take me a few watches to completely penetrate the intense web of cold war espionage that is woven. I can definitely tell you Oldman puts in a much better performance than Pitt or Clooney.
Overall: Hoping I pick it all up on the re-watch 3.5/5

Bridesmaids (2011) Dir: Paul Feig
All I can say about this is that it is exactly what I want from a female comedy. I really enjoyed it and laughed very hard. There are so many scenes that I thought 'That is exactly how I would react in a situation like that' that I lost count. Wiig is fantastic and it has perfect comedy timing.
Overall: Ladies you should watch this 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment