Friday 24 February 2012

Midnight in Paris (2011) Dir: Woody Allen

Summary: A family travel to the French capital for business. The party includes a young engaged couple who are forced to confront their differing views of a perfect life.

Why do I bother with Woody Allen films, I never enjoy them. They are overly wordy, the main characters are needy and often desperate and there is usually this unfulfilled need to obtain this form of an idealised, unachievable, perfect life/situation and Midnight in Paris is no different.
To be fair I actually managed to make it through the whole of Midnight in Paris which is a rare feat for me and an Allen film, it was whimsical and charming, it was brilliantly cast but overall I just didn't connect with the central themes. I often question if I have problems with Allen because I'm too much of a stubborn realist to really grasp this desperate idealism, I don't know. Wilson was the perfect artistic dreamer, McAdams is the obnoxious materialistic spoilt cow, Sheen is the frustrating show off and Cotillard optimises the idea of an artist muse. The film is laboured love letter to the beauty and wonder of Paris and I want to like it but I don't. I can understand why people would love this film but I am not one of them, maybe I'm broken.

Overall: I just don't like Woody Allen films, there I said it 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment