Friday 24 February 2012

The Descendants (2011) Dir: Alexander Payne

Summary: A land baron tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife suffers a boating accident. 

Well I can't say I didn't like this film but I can't for the life of me figure out why Clooney has got an Oscar nomination. The film sort of plods along with not much happening, it's all about the inner emotional process rather than emotional conversations. You feel that you are waiting for Clooney to breakdown, to have that big revolutionary outburst but it's all so subtle, it creeps along to it's conclusion and then you wonder how you got there.
I loved the journey of the eldest daughter Alexandra (Shailene Woodley) as the film seemed to be her story from adolescent to womanhood and I also welcomed the light relief created by Sid (Nick Krause) and the younger daughter Scottie (Amara Miller), but this film is not going to stay with me. It's not that it's boring or that it's bad in anyway, it's just that it didn't move me. I mean it is a good interpretation of a family drama and it didn't drag, I just wasn't invested in the outcome.

Overall: The best way to describe The Descendants is that it's disappointingly nice 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment