Tuesday 14 February 2012

War Horse (2011) Dir: Steven Spielberg

Summary: Young Albert enlists to serve in World War I after his beloved horse is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and across Europe as the war rages on.
 
What use is an epic war film without an English cast? I'm so please Spielberg didn't fill this with Americans doing awful British accents. I must admit I instantly started smiling when Peter Mullan and Emily Watson appeared on screen. Yes the story is far fetched but it does have simply gorgeous cinematography and the horses are really the star of the show. 
I did go into this worried that I would get bored, bored of war, bored of horses, bored of a boy whining about his lost horse but the story is broken up into chapters of the horse's life making it easier to sustain interest. I completely adored the grandfather and granddaughter (Niels Arestrup and Celine Buckens), and the chief German horse carer played by Nicolas Bro but found other scenes such as the meeting of the British and German soldier in no mans land unoriginal.
I have to say the film over all is very well done and considering the amount of special effects that must have been used all were fantastically done.
 

Overall: The kind of film you could take your Mam and Dad to 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment