Monday 13 January 2014

The Great Gatsby (Dir: Baz Luhrman. 2013)

Summary: A Midwestern war veteran finds himself drawn to the past and lifestyle of his millionaire neighbour. 

Oh my this was beautiful, so painfully beautiful; the sets, the costumes, the lighting, the soundtrack and Leo, oh Leo you are beautiful I am sorry I ever forgot. I remember studying The Great Gatsby at school and being bored out of my mind watching the Robert Redford version, this on the other hand was riveting and I hope this hits as many classrooms as possible.
DiCaprio's Gatsby is truly charming, charismatic and heartbreaking, Mulligan is confused &lost and MacGuire was surprisingly non annoying. Well done Baz Luhrmann, you totally re-captured the spark of Romeo and Juliet.
When I read this years nominations I was really annoyed DiCaprio didn't get an acting nomination for this, I know I haven't seen The Wolf of Wall Street yet but I find it hard to believe it can top this. I can't really say much more but this is brilliant and is the only film from last year I must own on Bluray for the simple reason that I need to see all the extras!

Overall - Watch this, it's fantastic and will make you feel like that teenage girl with Leo posters all over your bedroom wall all over again! 9/10

2014 Nominations (Selected)
Academy Awards
Nominated Best Achievement in Costume Design & Best Achievement in Production Design

BAFTA Awards
Nominated Best Production Design, Best Make Up/Hair & Best Costume Design

Australian Film Institute
Nominated Best Sound, Best Lead Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, Best Film, Best Direction, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Lead Actress: Carey Mulligan, Best Supporting Actor: Joel Edgerton, Best Supporting Actress: Elizabeth Debicki, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Original Music Score, Best Supporting Actress: Isla Fisher, Best Production Design & Best Costume Design

People's Choice Awards
Nominated Favorite Dramatic Movie

Satellite Awards
Nominated Best Original Song, Best Art Direction & Production Design & Best Costume Design

No comments:

Post a Comment