Friday 31 January 2014

Inside Llewyn Davies (Dir Joel & Ethan Coen. 2013)

Summary: A week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961.

I'm not really going to say a lot about this other than it's awesome! Oscar Isaac is committed, focused and totally believable, the supporting cast are brilliant, it's beautiful and the best thing about it is that it is under 2 hours long, rare for an award nominated film. I really feel that the best review I can give the film is the post-film conversation I had with James:

R - Did you feel like we were the only ones laughing?
J - Yeah but not everyone gets that dark type of humor. Was there enough Goodman for you?
R - Yeah, I mean he wasn't a very nice character, I think if there was anymore of him it would have unbalanced the film.
J - Yeah but I didn't find any of the characters likable.
R - There was the cat, you seemed to like the cat.
J- True, but I think he [Llewyn] was the cat.......

Mind blown!

Overall: Fantastic and I will have the 'Please, Mr Kennedy' song stuck in my head for weeks. 9/10

2014 Nominations (Selected)
Academy Awards
Nominated Best Cinematography & Sound Mixing.

Golden Globe
Nominated Best Picture (Comedy or Musical), Best Actor (Comedy or Musical): Oscar Isaac & Best Original Song: Please Mr Kennedy.

BAFTA Awards
Nominated Best Original Screenplay & Best Cinematography.

Cannes Film Festival (2013)
Won Grand Prize of the Jury & Nominated Palme d'Or.

London Critics Circle Film Awards
Nominated Film of the Year, Screenwriter of the Year & Technical Achievement of the Year.

Satellite Awards
Nominated Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Original Song: Please Mr Kennedy, Best Cinematography & Best Sound (Editing & Mixing).

No comments:

Post a Comment