Monday 13 January 2014

The Butler (Dir: Lee Daniels. 2013)


Summary: Loosely based on the real life of Eugene Allen, the film stars Forest Whitaker as Cecil Gaines, an African-American who eyewitnesses notable events of the 20th century during his 34-year tenure serving as a White House butler.

I know I say this all the time but I really wasn't looking forward to this, I mean based on the last few Daniels films I've watched (Precious and The Paper Boy) I was expecting a really brutal watch which would leave me feeling depressed and hopeless. Well as usual I was wrong but in this case it didn't result in me enjoying the film.

The only thing I can liken this to is Forrest Gump, when I watched it when I was young I remember it dealing with big issues such as war, racism, politics, drug addiction and death, and I was awe of it. As I re-watched Forrest Gump as an adult it didn't seem as powerful, these big issues seemed simplified and sugar-coated and I was disappointed by its inability to address the huge globe issues it glossed over.

The Butler should have been the hard watch I was expecting but instead it was Forrest Gump - no backbone, all wishy-washy and average all round. I kept waiting for the twist, for the characters to start fighting, to start caring to do anything but it plods along at a pleasant pace not really wanting to admit this is not the radical political film that it should be. It's too long, too dull and there is no amount of Oprah is going to save it.

Overall: Rubbish 3/10

2014 Nominations (Selected)
BAFTA Awards
Nominated Best Supporting Actress: Oprah Winfrey & Best Make Up/Hair

Screen Actors Guild Awards
Nominated Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role: Forest Whitaker, Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Oprah Winfrey & Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

People's Choice Awards
Nominated Favorite Dramatic Movie

Satellite Awards
Nominated Best Actor in a Motion Picture: Forest Whitaker, Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Oprah Winfrey & Best Art Direction & Production Design

No comments:

Post a Comment