Monday 13 January 2014

Behind the Candelabra (Dir: Steven Soderbergh. 2013)


Summary: Based on the autobiographical novel, the tempestuous 6-year relationship between Liberace and his (much younger) lover, Scott Thorson, is recounted. 

I went into this in two minds; 1) Soderbergh hasn't made a good film since Traffic and 2) Why am I paying money to see a made for TV movie about an entertainer I know nothing about? Neither of these thought was filling me with joy as I bought my ticket but the one thing, well person, who had swayed me into watching with was Matt Damon. Yes I know you are all now saying his name out loud in the Team America voice but I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a bad film with Matt Damon in.

Anyway back to the film. The casting is truely inspired, I mean who would have thought Micheal Douglas could do camp! Also Douglas' eyebrows (so shaped and high) really do help you forget that he was Gordon Gecko. Other real casting gems; Scott Bakula as the ex-lover, Dan Ackroyd as the manager, that guy from 30 Rock whos not really in it much and I never remember the name of (I looked it up he's called Cheyenne Jackson) and Rob Lowe who is awesome.

I loved that the relationships develop slowly over a period of years so that the film doesn't feel rushed. You feel like to see a full representation of the characters warts and all, and although you see the drama coming it feels like you are in on the secret and it didn't really bother me. I also appreciated the way I felt my loyalities shifted from the beginning to the end, do you root for a happy ending for Lee (Douglas) or Scott (Damon)? Are either of them likeable? Is this Damon's Boogie Nights? I just don't know but what I do know is that it made me smile.

Overall - Lots of sniggery moments 7/10

2014 Nominations (selected)

Golden Globe
Won Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television& Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Michael Douglas
Nominated Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Matt Damon & Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Rob Lowe

BAFTA Awards
Nominated Best Adapted Screenplay,Best Supporting Actor: Matt Damon, Best Production Design, Best Make Up/Hair & Best Costume Design

Screen Actors Guild Awards
Won Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Michael Douglas
Nominated Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Matt Damon

Directors Guild of America
Nominated Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television and Mini-Series

London Critics Circle Film Awards
Nominated Actor of the Year: Michael Douglas & Technical Achievement of the Year

People's Choice Awards
Nominated Favorite TV Movie/Miniseries

Satellite Awards 2014
Nominated Best Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television, Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Matt Damon & Best Actor in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Michael Douglas


No comments:

Post a Comment