Friday 8 February 2013

Les Misérables (Dir - Tom Hooper 2012)

Summary: In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's daughter, Cosette. The fateful decision changes their lives forever.

I am under strict instructions from one of my work colleagues not to give Les Mis a bad review (she has been listening to the soundtrack on repeat for a month now), well I'm not sure if this is going to be a bad review but it will be honest.

I'll start by confessing that I love musicals, Singing in the Rain and The Wizard of Oz are 2 of my favourite all time films and I admit I was obsessed with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Summer Holiday as a child. I was not put off by all the lines in Les Mis being sung but it is a little strange to begin with as I was familiar with a musical style where conversations build up to a song rather than the lines flowing directly into song. I think the easiest way to review Les Mis is in a pros and cons list because otherwise it will take too long to write.

Cons
Russell Crows Singing.
Why is Ann Hathaway nominated for so many awards when she is only in 30 minutes of the film?
It's too long.
The film is just general film award fodder.
For some reason after watching this I had the La Resistance song from South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKvdlSLbrCostuck) in my head for days.

Pros
Hugh Jackman (Seriously amazing)
Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen

Overall: This score is all for Hugh Jackman - 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment