Wednesday 30 January 2013

Django Unchained (Dir - Quentin Tarantino. 2012)


Summary: With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner. 
 
Slightly different format review; this is a text conversation about Django Unchained I had with my Mam. I had seen Django Unchained with my friend Mary the night befor, after which Mary and I had a very thorough post film dissection and everything we discussed I have basically condensed into the review I messaged to my Mam. I also like that me and my Mam appear to have completely different opinions of the film.
 


Overall: My opinion was that it was fairly rubbish. Tarantino hasn't produced a good film since Jackie Brown but Django did manage to get a few laughs out of me. 5/10

2 comments:

  1. "Tarantino hasn't produced a good film since Jackie Brown"

    I was wondering. What did you think of Kill Bill? Personally, I think it's pretty damn good. You seem to have a real refined taste in films though, it'd be interesting to hear your opinion.

    Nice reviews by the way! Interesting reads, and not too formal. Just the way I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Marcus, thanks for the comment and definitely keep them coming.
    Kill Bill was definitely the turning point with Tarantino, it’s when he turned away from films with complex interlocking narratives to genre focused demonstrations of his ability as a writer/director. Kill Bill 1 is a perfect demonstration of a Asian action flick whereas 2 is more focused with the concept of Film Noir. The problem I have with the genre focused films he has done, like Kill Bill, is that there isn’t any really exploration of relationships; how did the Bride and Bill get together, what was the Brides relationships with the other assassins like before the film takes place and what is the full back story of the Bride. Kill Bill is style over substance created by a genre driven fanboy paying homage to his film heroes and on the surface there is nothing wrong with that if you like extremely beautiful action films. The problem for me is that I want more, I want a strong emotional connection to the characters and I want a satisfying ending with all lose ends tied up. This is just my opinion and I know any people who love Kill Bill for the exact reasons I downgrade it for. In film, like art, there are no right and wrong answers just personal taste.

    ReplyDelete