Sunday 2 December 2012

Anna Karenina (Dir - Joe Wright. 2012)


Summary: Set in late-19th-century Russia high-society, the aristocrat Anna Karenina enters into a life-changing affair with the affluent Count Vronsky.

This film is beautiful, the set is mostly based on a theatre building, with different parts of the theatre becoming differently locations, it is very clever, I just wish the performances had been as good as the set design. Anyway lets start with the good; I quite enjoyed Jude Law’s performance and it was nice to finally see him play a part where he didn’t have to hide his receding hairline. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was convincing as the womanising Vronsky and I really felt his role mature by the end of the film. Overall I enjoyed the supporting cast (Matthew Macfadyen, Kelly Macdonald & Domhnall Gleeson) but what spoiled it all was Keira Knightley. Now I don’t normally mind Knightley, I usually quiet like her in period dramas as I think she has an innocence and vulnerability that works well but the role of Anna Karenina was meant to convey love, passion, conflict and madness but all I got was a wet blanket. Thinking back to this, I think I would have preferred it with a different leading lady, maybe Emily Blunt would have been a good choice following her performance in The Young Victoria. I don’t know, Anna Karenina seemed full of promises which it failed to deliver.

Overall: It was stunning but it needed a better leading lady 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment