Tuesday 20 November 2012

Prometheus (Dir - Ridley Scott. 2012)


Summary: Prometheus is set in the late 21st century and centers on the crew of the spaceship Prometheus as they follow a star map discovered among the remnants of several ancient Earth cultures. The crew, seeking the origins of humanity, arrive on a distant world and discover an advanced civilization and a threat that could cause the extinction of the human race.

Well I somehow managed to watch this twice at the cinema, once in 3D IMAX and once in 2D. Firstly I just want to say that the 3D was a massive waste of time, 30% colour loss, horrible focus issues (I missed out on all the lovely Giger-esque background art) and messy jerky action sequences made watching in 3D jarring to say the least. Needless to say I enjoyed the 2D much more.

I love the feel of this film all gloomy, stark and post-apocalyptic, I expected it to be Alien and there is just a strong nod to what is to come (this is after all a prequel), but isn’t too over the top. I feel like it’s hard to talk about this film without giving too much away, it is beautifully shot, the sets and scenery are gorgeous and I thought the casting was wonderfully done.

From the opening sequence Scott has the audience asking ‘Why are we here?’ and ‘Where did we come from?’ and continues to escalate these themes as the film continues. I felt throughout that the script intelligently held back information, it doesn’t answer every question raised but it has the perfect level of mystery and guidance to let your mind wander to create your own answers.

As I’ve said above the casting was brilliant and I was (as always) particularly impressed with Scott’s strong female leads Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron but as much as I hate to gloss over the lead actresses, the real standout performance was Michael Fassbender as a replicant obsessed with Laurence Olivier. Fassbender effectively balances the role between evil mastermind and minion/servant that I didn’t know if I wanted him to succeed or fail. Everything from Fassbender’s mannerisms, speech and eye contact get under your skin bringing a consistent sense of anxiousness into the mix which offsets the other characters beautifully.

Overall: If Fassbender doesn’t get a nomination for Best Supporting Actor I will be very disappointed but Prometheus just needed something more to make it truly excellent 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment